Careers Guidance and Work Experience
My Future - Careers Guidance and Education
At Pond Meadow Academy opportunities are provided for all students to encounter careers and employment throughout their time at school.
In the EYFS and Primary school, students will have meaningful interactions linked to careers such as visitors in school and local trips.
Careers guidance is embedded in the KS3-KS5 curriculum and delivered during discrete subject lessons. The careers guidance we deliver will incorporate preparing for life after Pond Meadow. This may be paid employment, a work experience placement, college placement or social care placement.
Implementing the Gatsby Benchmarks
The Gatsby Benchmarks are a framework of 8 guidelines that define the best careers provision in secondary schools.
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking curriculum learning to careers
- Encounters with employers and employees
- Experiences of workplaces
- Encounters with further and higher education
- Personal guidance
At Pond Meadow Academy we implement the Gatsby Benchmarks to continue to develop our vocational curriculum for students across the school. Our programme is inclusive of each student's individual needs and their post-19 destination. For an overview of how we meet the Gatsby Benchmarks please click here.
We are pleased to be working alongside Enterprise M3 and are supported by an Enterprise Coordinator and Advisor. Please see our provider access policy and careers and future destinations policy for more information.
At Pond Meadow, students are provided with meaningful opportunities to experience volunteering or work placements.
Work experience may take place within our school or out in the local community. Our ‘job vacancy’ boards, throughout the school, provide a wide range of opportunities for students to choose their own individual tasks.
Students across the school enjoy taking part in Enterprise projects to raise money for local charities. We are thrilled to be working with Surrey Choices to deliver work placements for Post-16 pupils.
Examples of previous work experience include:
- Working as an assistant or kitchen porter at Starbucks
- Running a school pop up café for staff and pupils
- Gardening and maintenance for Surrey Wildlife Trust
- Organising and delivering stationery orders for the school
- Feeding wild ponies for the National Trust
We are always looking for new volunteering or work experience placements for our students!
If you would be interested in hosting a student then please contact Matt Clarke, Careers Leader